Thursday, July 21, 2016

Blackfeet Reservation: its not the Hilton and the last day of camp was today

Several months ago I was surprised to get a call from Andrew at Global Volunteers, asking if I would consider an additional team leader week to the Blackfeet Reservation in Montana.  When I hesitated(having already committed to a 2 week Cuba trip this fall), he told me they needed me for a very special team:  a group of teens who are survivors and witnesses of the Sandy Hook shooting , who through an organization called Ben's Lighthouse, have been doing community service projects as part of their recovery.  Then he said:  the accommodations are like the Hilton compared to Crow, and the teens will be working at the day camp every day, it will be like a vacation for you.......

Norman, the current team leader, picked me up in Great Falls, a stunning 2 hour drive from Browning and the Blackfeet reservation.  The light was fading over the rolling hills as we approached the mountains, and Heart Butte(a 600 person "suburb" of Browning), which will be our home for the week.  With the team not arriving till late Saturday evening, I have time to get acquainted and figure out the "lay of the land".  And.....surprise....Norman informed me that the last day of camp was today:  what will I do with 20 teens and their 4 adult chaperones???????  Flexibility is key.........

The church building has remarkable similarities to Beards Fork, West Virginia.  It's spacious, has plenty of bunk beds(yes beds, no air mattresses this year), a  huge , well stocked kitchen.....and well, you can imagine the rest:  bedding strewn everywhere, mattresses here and there, old furniture waiting to be picked up... you get the picture.  On the other hand, normal sized toilets(no tiny Head start toilets like in Crow), showers and working wifi.  No cell service.  Good news:  no mopping for me tonight as the place had recently been cleaned.

I am looking forward to the morning, when I hope to take an early morning walk up the hill and see the mountains, then will spend the day with Norman's team(they are housed in Browning tonight), and help them celebrate their last night with a dinner out in East Glacier, right near the park.  I will spend tomorrow and Saturday getting organized for my teams arrival late Saturday.

Despite the initial (and not unexpected) surprises, I am content to be here, and looking forward to getting to know our hosts on the reservation as well as this team of young adults.  In light of all the horror of the last few months, I will be interested to learn how they are handling that kind of trauma.  we are hoping to have our native hosts share some healing rituals with them.

Stay safe. Hug those you love.

With love from Heart Butte,
Barbara

another test Sat am

No comments:

Post a Comment